Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Extract

When my mother in law called me and told me that I could make Vanilla Extract myself and that it's cheaper than buying it a the store, I knew I totally had to give it a try!!! I had been complaining to her about how much it is to buy it in the store and how I go through so much of it! 
And it's so easy to make!! 

  1. 1 cup vodka, bourbon, rum or brandy although vodka is the preferred one 
  2. 3 whole vanilla beans (from what I've read, the Madagascar ones of the favored ones to use)


Slice the vanilla bean in half length wise and add it to a cup of vodka and let it sit for 2 months. Every week or so, turn the bottle gently to mix it a bit.

I just started mine last week so I'll post again in 2 months with the final product! The long it sits, the darker it will become and turn into actual vanilla extract just like you buy at the store! 

You can use a more decorative bottle to store it in or give it as a gift! As long as this turns out like I'm hoping it will, I plan on making more and giving it out as Christmas gifts to our family along with mint extract I plan on doing as soon as the mint in my garden is ready!! 

You can buy vanilla beans online cheaper than what I found bought mine for, here at this website

I found these vanilla beans at Whole Foods for less than $5



Day 1

1 week later

No comments:

Post a Comment