Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tips for an easier Christmas with your child with special needs


After I posted about our visit to Santa, I thought I would share a few resources I've found to help fellow families that have children with Down syndrome, Autism or even a Sensory Processing Disorder around Christmas.

Joey gets over stimulated VERY easily, especially in situations/ events that don't happen on a daily basis. I'm talking total meltdowns or just going to hid in a corner/ another room away from everyone else.

I do want to start by saying that Joey LOVES seeing Santa on TV (obviously not in person) and watching children's programs on TV about Christmas and he LOVES our Christmas tree!!!

The past few years we've barely gotten him to open up a wrapped gift, he just can't handle it. It's very upsetting at times seeing Leah and Aiden opening up gifts on Christmas morning and Joey wanting no part of it. This year, I've decided to try gift bags with his gifts rather than wrapping them to see if that makes a difference.

It's so difficult that he won't sit at the table to eat a meal during any holiday or event at my in-laws house. I just want to see him participate with our entire family but I know it's too much for him. I just hold onto the hope that someday he will participate in the festivities rather than hanging out in the family room watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV while we all eat.

Needless to say, I'm desperate to find new ideas of things to try during this holiday season with him! I've been surfing the web reading other parents experiences and any advice that they might have to share. I wanted to share my findings with anyone who may possibly be in the same boat as us. Here are some of the articles/ blog posts I've found that may also help you out:


As I find more articles and blog posts, I will post them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment