Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Homemade Fudge

Growing up, it was an annual tradition to make homemade fudge with my mom using the wooden spoon my Great Grandpa Sonderman made by hand decades ago. I would stand on a chair next to the counter and unwrap the individual pieces of the Bakers Chocolate as my mom stirred all the ingredients together and as I got older, she started to let me stir the pan as well.


Unfortunately, a several years back, the old trustworthy wooden spoon broke but my mom and I continued to make our fudge together. After I got married and moved from Ohio to Connecticut, I continued on with the tradition of making homemade fudge.

This year, I let our daughter, Leah join in on the fun. She stood up on a chair next to the counter and unwrapped the Baker's Chocolate for me and watched as I stirred the pan. Our youngest son, Aiden decided to join us long enough to lick the seal off the marshmallow fluff jar, LOL!


  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
  • 1 can (15 oz) evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 package (12 squares) Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate
  • 1 jar (7 oz) Marshmallow Fluff (we always use the Jet-Puffed brand)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Line 9 inch pan with foil (we actually use the disposable tin pans). Bring sugar, butter, and evaporated milk to a full rolling boil in large sauce pan on medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes or until 234 degrees on candy thermometer, still stirring continuously, being careful not to scorch the bottom of the pan (I've done it a few times over the years!) Remove from heat.

Add chocolate and marshmallow fluff; stir until melted. Stir in vanilla and nuts.

Pour into pan. Cool completely and enjoy :)

*update, I tried using a different brand of fluff to make a second batch and it didn't turn out right! The other brand of fluff must have a different consistency to it!!







No comments:

Post a Comment