Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments


I had seen several pins on Pinterest on Salt Dough Ornaments. They looked super easy and like a lot of fun so I thought I would give them a try!

Ingredients
1 cup of salt
2 cups of flour
1 cup of water

Mix all 3 ingredients together until mixed very well until a dough is formed. Then use a rolling pin to roll out dough to your desired thickness. Then you can use cookie cutters to make the ornaments or you can use a knife or toothpick to cut out your desired shape you want.

*Depending on where you are making the ornaments, you might want to lay some wax paper down on the surface you're using. You'll want to sprinkle a little extra flour down before you start working with the dough otherwise it will stick. I also made sure some there was a little flour on my hands and rolling pin as well.

We made a few different types of ornaments:

For each of our children, I had them press their hands into the dough and made hand print ornaments for each of them. (which I still have yet to paint, LOL!)

I also made snowmen, I cut out circles then a little carrot nose. Then I painted it. I also added a coat of clear glitter paint to give it a little added shimmer.


If you would like, you can add a little food coloring to the dough as well, but a heads up, you might want to wear gloves! When I added red dye to make the Santa ornament, I ended up with red hands, LOL!!

The Santa took a while for me to make, I found the idea from The Glue Gun Girl. I rolled out each little piece of his beard by hand. It took a tad bit longer than I thought, LOL! After it was done in the oven, after I let him sit for a day or so, I sprayed a clear coat sealer on it.


I also made Christmas tree ornaments as well but still haven't painted those yet either, LOL!

I put a hair bobby pin into each of the ornaments to use so I could add an ornament hook to. Some people just poke a hole through their ornaments but I liked the idea of the bobby pin.

After all the ornaments were done, I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours. After 2 hours still felt a little soft so I popped them back in a for a while longer. Then I left them out over night on the cookie sheet to air dry. The next day a few of them still felt a little damp so I popped them back in the oven the next day for another hour.




No comments:

Post a Comment