Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Some days...


There are some days that as a parent of a child with Down syndrome, we all have "Holland moments," where we may get upset or down regarding something that's going on with our child. Whenever this happens to be, I sit down and read my favorite poems, "Welcome to Holland" and "Hang it on the Cross."

I did just that very thing yesterday. Joey was diagnosed with colitis a few years ago. The past few months, it has been at an all time worst. I can't even count the numbers of diapers I've changed in the past 2 months... Last week when I took him to see his GI doctor regarding this problem, we decided it was best to check him out to make sure there's not something else going on with his GI system. Unfortunately to do this, he's going to need an upper GI with a small bowel follow through, a endoscopy and a colonoscopy.

I HATE the thought of putting him through each of those things BUT I know they're necessary to make sure there's not something else wrong. One of the things mentioned at the GI appointment was the thought that perhaps his colitis has possibly turned into Crohn's Disease. This scares the daylights out of me knowing he may have a life time of this disease but I know there's nothing I can do about it.... that's when I turn to "Hang It On The Cross."

These two poems remind me that going to Holland really isn't that bad, sometimes it may rain but it's typically a beautiful place. And that whenever an added obstacle comes our way, rather than dwelling about it, I remind myself just to hang it on my cross and let God take control and also to stop and admire the tulips as I'm journeying through Holland.

And this is Joey, isn't he beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment