Sunday, January 27, 2013

Coffee Cake Recipe

Growing up, one of my mom's favorite dessert recipes to make with me was my Great Grandma Sonderman's Coffee Cake. For the past few weeks I've been craving it so yesterday I decided to make it for a meeting I was going to attend at our church.

And let me just say, after at least 15 years of not getting a chance to eat this coffee cake, it tasted just like I remember and took me for a nice little walk down memory lane remembering the days of baking with my mom in our kitchen when I was little. Those memories are some of my favorite and I will cherish them for the rest of my life.

Great Grandma Sonderman's Coffee Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream together:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Once you've creamed together all the ingredients, add 1 cup of buttermilk a little at a time while you cream the mixture together with the buttermilk. 
  2. Mix together using the blender, add the dry ingredients a little at a time on medium speed until well mixed. 


Topping:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. Mix together using pastry blender until it becomes crumb like.



Pour cake batter into 9x13 greased pan and sprinkle topping over batter.


Bake in oven 30-35 minutes or until edges of cake start to brown and a toothpick comes out clean.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family has for the past 3 generations!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment