Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY Project: Birthday Board


My husband is the oldest of 7. The majority of his siblings are now married and are having children so our family has been growing very quickly!! It's very hard to keep track of everyone's birthdays and I knew this would be the PERFECT Christmas gift for my mother in law!

My mother in law has 7 children, 3 daughter in laws, 1 son in law, 1 mother in law, 8 (soon to be 9) grandchildren, her mother in law, 4 of her own brothers, 3 sister in laws, 1 brother in law, 2 nieces, 3 nephews, and I'm sure I might have left a few more out, LOL!!

In addition to all the disks I already personalized, I've painted an additional 12 since I know our family will continue to grow for several more years!!

The large board I got at Michael's Craft Store and used one of the 50% off coupons so I got it for $7!! I spray painted the green base coat that way the paint would be nice & smooth. For the letters, rather than going out and buying stencils, I found the perfect font and printed out the letters in 150 font then cut them out and traced them with a black sharpie marker and painted them in black. I also added a coat of black glitter paint on top of the letters so they would "pop" a little.

Then I bought a few bags of little wooden disks similar to these. I painted them then drilled small holes in them. For the lettering I used a black fine tipped Sharpie Marker. Then I added a clear clear of glitter paint to the top to make the disks sparkle a little.

Then I used metal jewelry findings similar to these  to attach the disks to each other.

I am tickled to death how awesome this turned out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment